in 1693 the estate was acquired by Stellenbosch Farmers Winery in 1969 to
provide premium quality fruit for the company’s super premium brands. Shortly
after this acquisition it was realized that they had something special in hand.
In the 1980’s under the expert guidance of then Managing Director Ronnie Melck
the historic buildings on the estate were restored to the highest standards of
craftsmanship and a technologically current winery built.
estate is one of the largest in the Cape winelands being some 1,800 acres in
extent. There are approximately 850 acres under vines with the prime ten
percent of the vineyards designated for the production of the wines that bear
the Plaisir de Merle moniker.
of detail was spared in all that has been done to revitalize the estate to its’
former glory and thus, with the aid of Chateau Margaux winemaker, Paul Pontellier,
cellarmaster Niel Bester spent five years developing a set of wines showing a
thread of continuity from French influences to uniquely South African characteristics.